Captains & Team Members
Thank you for your interest in developing a school team of students and administrators for this year’s 40th annual Statesman Cap10K race. The Statesman Cap10K School Challenge is for Elementary, Middle and High School students and administrators. Engaging children in fun, active, healthy events is something schools and parents strive to deliver across our communities. The Statesman is proud to be a supporter of this initiative with our iconic Austin race, the Statesman Cap10K, on Sunday, April 23, 2017. The School Challenge awards and recognizes schools for both participation and speed.
The School Challenge is a chance for the administrators, and most of all students at your school to participate together in a fun event while promoting healthy lifestyles and to support our 2017 race beneficiary, Austin Parks Foundation. This year, we’re excited to announce the continuation of $1 from every registration going to our beneficiary! The Statesman is also matching up to $10,000 in additional donations made by participants. Not only that, but the Team Challenge is just a lot of fun. After the race join us in the Finish Line Festival where you can listen to live local music on the shores, grab a bite from local food trucks or explore the the CapKids Zone hosted by the YMCA. We want you to benefit from all the Team Challenge has to offer!
Follow the link below to confirm your 2017 race registration in EventDog.com. Have your confirmation code available for quicker verification. If you can not locate your confirmation code follow the Manage My Registration link for instructions on how to access your registration profile.
Race Guide in Austin360
The Official Statesman Capitol 10,000 Race Guide will be published in Austin360 section of the Austin American-Statesman prior to race weekend. Promotional Austin American-Statesman 24/7 digital access and home delivery subscriptions available which include the Official Statesman Cap10K Race Guide and Monday’s Post Race coverage issue.
Digital & Print Offer
Team Rules & Restrictions
• Team registration only available online.
• The cumulative finish times of the fastest 10 students will be added up to create a team time. The first 5 girls and first 5 boys finish times are used to create team time.
• Teams must have a minimum of 5 girls and 5 boys finish times to be eligible for Fastest Division Team award. There is no maximum number of team members.
• School administrator’s times are not counted towards team time.
• Team time determines winning team (finish times are based on Chip Time).
• Team members are eligible for individual age group awards and are able to place in the overall results.
• Team members must be registered with a team to be eligible for team awards.
• Teams must have 25 registered members by 4/2/2017 11:59 p.m. to qualify for optional group packet prep and team tent area at the Finish Line Festival.
• Only the Team Captain has the discretion to opt in to bulk team packet pick-up and team tent area. If you are registered as a team member contact your Team Captain for specific packet pick-up instructions.
• Only the Team Captain or pre-determined designee can claim bulk team packets.
• If you are the Captain and would prefer to pay in bulk for team member’s registration, please contact race office at email@example.com (include subject heading: BULK Team Reg. Purchase) so we can reply with further instructions.
Competition & Awards
The Statesman Cap10K, held in the heart of downtown on Sunday, April 23, 2017, presents the perfect way to show your school spirit, make new friends, and compete against other schools. This year, the Cap10K School Challenge includes three divisions: Elementary, Middle & High School. Awards will be presented to:
• Fastest Division Team (top 5 girls and top 5 boys; adults times excluded)
• Top team in each Division (Elementary, Middle & High school) will receive a team trophy. Second & Third place team in each Division will receive a team plaque.
• Top three teams in each Division (Elementary, Middle & High school) will receive a check donation to school’s PTA (1st Place $500, 2nd Place $300 and 3rd Place $200). Donation awarded to school’s Parent Teacher Association or school fund following verification of official results.
• Largest Division Team (includes students and administrators)
• One trophy awarded to top team in each Division (Elementary, Middle and High School).
Show your team spirit by posting your participation on Facebook, Twitter or the social media channel of your choice. Popular tags: #cap10k, #statesman & #austin10kr.
The Team Captain has the sole discretion to choose how packets will be distributed to team members. Please check with your Team Captain for instructions on how to claim your individual race packet. Captains have the choice to collect all member packets in bulk and distribute to team or team members have to pick up their individual race packets at the Health & Fitness Expo.
Captains with 25 or more team members qualify for advance packet pick up at the Austin American-Statesman’s New drive-up location 4/17–4/19. Team packets will be grouped in bulk if, Captain opted in to picking up team packets and distributing to team members. If Captain opted out of picking up team packets, each team member is responsible for picking up their individual packet up at the Expo. Only the Team Captain or pre-determined designee can claim team’s grouped packets. Captain can pick up team’s packets on these days:
• Monday, April 17, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Captains with 24 or less team members do not qualify for advance packet pick up. Captain can pick up grouped race packets at the Cap10K Race Expo in the Palmer Events Center 4/21–4/22. Team packets will be grouped in bulk if, Captain opted in to picking up team packets and distributing to team members. If Captain opted out of picking up team packets, each team member is responsible for picking up their individual packet up at the Expo. Only the Team Captain or pre-determined designee can claim team’s grouped packets. Captain can pick up team’s packets on these days:
• Friday, April 21, 2017, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
• Saturday, April 22, 2017, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
There is NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK-UP OR REGISTRATION so, make arrangements to have your co-workers, friends or family pick up your packet if you are unable to make it to the Expo.
Health & Fitness Expo
Dates to Remember
April 8, 2016 Registration Opened $30 Adult & $15 Youth (limited to first 2,017 registrants) Expired
September 22, 2016 Registration Fee Increase $35 Adult & $20 Youth Expired
January 5, 2017 Registration Fee Increase $40 Adult & $25 Youth Expired
March 2, 2017 Registration Fee Increase $45 Adult & $30 Youth Expired
April 2, 2017 Deadline to Register Team or join a team 11:59 p.m. Expired
April 2, 2017 Deadline to Reach 25 team member status for Team Packet Prep Expired
April 2, 2017 Deadline to Personalize Race Bib Number Expired
April 2, 2017 Deadline to Edit Registration Profile Expired
April 17, 2017 Registration Fee Increase $50 Adult & $35 Youth
April 17, 18 & 19, 2017 Bulk Team Packet Pick-up for Teams with 25 or more members
April 21 & 22, 2017 Statesman Cap10K Health & Fitness Expo
April 22, 2017 Deadline to Register Online 4:00 p.m., (must attend Expo to register 4/22)
April 22, 2017 Last day to pick up Race Packet
April 23, 2017 Statesman Capitol 10,000
April 27, 2017 Deadline to submit Costume Contest photo entry
May 2, 2017 Deadline to vote on Costume Contest photos
The Cap10K is extremely excited to continue the Team Village opportunity at this year’s race. The Team Village area is available to teams with 25 or more registered members. If your team meets this minimum member requirement and Team Captain opted in to perk, Cap10K will provide a 10×10 tent with your team name prominently displayed on a banner over the tent. The team tent is a great place to meet up in the morning and celebrate the day after the race. The Team Village will be located in the Finish Line Festival on Vic Mathias Shores (formally Auditorium Shores). Team captains will be contacted prior to the race to convey additional information about the team tent location and attendance policies. More info will follow.
Spectators and teammates can electronically track multiple runners along the race course by receiving real-time updates via text messaging from Run-Far Racing. Updates will be received as runners cross the 5K halfway point (3.1 miles) and at the 10K (6.2 miles) finish line. Sign up for Runner Tracking here.